Diversity Mural in Orlando
Mosaic artists Jennifer Kuhns (WA) and Cherie Bosela (FL) have teamed up to create a mural for a prominent wall in Orlando in memory of the victims of the Pulse Nightclub shooting, and all who suffer from discrimination. Hearts are being made by artists all over the world, and the mural will be installed fall of 2018. A is has been created to pay for installation costs, including Jennifer’s travel to Florida. *has generously offered thinset, grout and pigments for this project.
Dedication of the Mural is planned for
Friday, September 21, 2018
Jennifer Kuhns leads a weekly mosaic program for at-risk teens in a rural town in Washington State (USA) and in January 2017, she launched a mural project for the side of the high school. They've been making mosaic hearts in class and with the community all year, which has been installed to create a giant rainbow floating away from a silhouetted figure blowing kisses. The most wonderful aspect of this project has been that mosaic artists and students around the world have also sent hearts for the mural!
Now, Jennifer Kuhns and Cherie Bosela are teaming up to create a second version of the mural to be installed on the exterior wall of Lamp Shade Fair in Orlando, FL. Cherie's mosaic studio, Luna Mosaic Arts is in a neighborhood 5 miles north of the Pulse Nightclub, and she'll be collecting completed hearts at that location. Jennifer will fly to Orlando when enough hearts have been collected to work on the installation.
The design developed as a response to the Pulse nightclub shooting on June 12, 2016 in Orlando, FL as a way to send support and love to those who suffer from discrimination and hatred. After the presidential election, the message felt even more urgent, and more broad. We feel this message extends to all who are persecuted for being outside of the mainstream. It is a giant, visual love note to the world, and a way for participants (heart-makers) to express support for and alliance with disenfranchised people.
Check out the article written in the Orlando Sentinel
Click here for the whole story -
- If you are a mosaic artist and are interested in creating a heart: look for “Diversity Mural in Orlando” on facebook groups and request to join.
We plan to start installing the mural at the end of August. While we don't have an exact deadline for sending hearts, try to have
them sent by mid-August.
- You can also help with installation. We will be posting here and on the facebook pages dates for when we will need help.
There will be several different days and times.
Come help with Grouting and Prepping
- We are always receiving new hearts. We need help cutting the excess mesh off. You can stop by at anytime during our normal business hour to help. Wed-Sat 10a-3p.
- If you'd like to come help grout the hearts. Please join us to help grout and prep the mosaic hearts for the Diversity Mural. You don't have to stay the whole time. Even an hour will help!! Come dress in clothes that you don't mind getting grout on just in case! We have a few aprons at the studio but not enough for everyone!
- Friday, August 3, 2018 between 10am - 3pm
- Sunday, August 5, 2018 between 10am - 3pm
- Saturday, August 11, 2018 between 10am - 3pm
- Monday, August 13, 2018 between 3pm - 8pm
See our events on our facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/lunamosaics/events/?ref=page_internal
Location of the mural will be on the South side of
Lamp Shade Fair. Only a 4 minute walk from Luna Mosaic Arts.
1336 N Mills Ave
Orlando, FL 32803
Some of the HEARTS that we have received from all over the WORLD!!!
813 Virginia Dr. - Orlando, FL 32803 - 407.930.0750 - firstname.lastname@example.org © Luna Mosaic Arts - All Rights Reserved